TN Visa

TN visa

Main Article: Immigration

Main Article: Non-Immigrant visa types

Treaty NAFTA (TN) status is a non-immigrant status that is unique to the citizens of Canada and Mexico. Only individuals practicing a profession identified in the Canada - US Free Trade Agreement are eligible for TN status.

TN status must be renewed every 3 years. TN status may be renewed an indefinite number of times, however it is not a permanent visa.

Spouses and dependent children of a TN status professional can be admitted to the United Status under TD status.

Related Services

TN Visa Application


Apply for an TN Visa, a US non-immigrant visa available to Canadian and Mexican citizens in certain professional occupations.

TN Visa Extension


Extend a TN Visa, a US non-immigrant visa available to Canadian and Mexican citizens in certain professional occupations.


One can qualify for TN status if:

  • You are a citizen of Canada or Mexico;
  • Your profession qualifies under the regulations;
    • accountant, agriculturalist, animal breeder, animal scientist, apiculturist, architect, astronomer, biochemist, biologist, chemist, computer systems analyst, dairy scientist, dentist, dietitian, disaster relief insurance claims adjuster, economist, engineer, entomologist, epidemiologist, forester, geneticist, geologist, geochemist, geophysicist, graphic designer, horticulturalist, hotel manager, industrial designer, interior designer, land surveyor, landscape architect, lawyer, librarian, management consultant, mathematician, medical technologist, nutritionist, occupational therapist, pharmacist, pharmacologist, physician, physicist, physical therapist, plant breeder, poultry scientist, psychologist, range manager, recreational therapist, registered nurse, research assistant, scientific technician, social worker, soil scientist, silviculturist, teacher, technical publications writer, urban planner, veterinarian, vocational counselor, and zoologist.
  • The position in the United States requires a NAFTA professional;
  • You have a prearranged full-time or part-time job with a U.S. employer (but not self-employment - see documentation required below); and
  • You have the qualifications to practice in the profession in question.


The employer must file a Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker, with fee, on behalf of the employee.

Related Guides